Monday, March 1, 2010

Digital Artist

One of my friends just gave this link to Carolyn Gan's webpage. She is working with a lot of digital art now.
http://wratbox.com/index.htm
As always I'm a huge sucker for the dragons. She mentions that she uses photoshop cs3, corel painter 9, and manga studio ex to color her works. All of which, unfortunately, add up to hundreds of dollars worth of software. I'll probably wind up getting something similar a few years down the road when they have an even better version out and I've saved up a heck of a lot of money.

While I do know that it takes tremendous skill to paint something digitally, I've always valued those who can create this sort of thing with pencils and paints a little bit more... But that's just me. Her work is inspiring, especially because I am going into character design myself. (or another part of the game process, whichever strikes my fancy once I've tried them all out). Her detail astounds me, in the scales of the dragon to the whole environment in the picture below.
Here's another one I especially liked. It's so nice and warm! And you cannot help but love the GIGANTIC fish. The one below reminds me a lot of the game Persona 3. I'm not sure if you've seen/played it (i've only played part, so no spoilers!), but part of the introduction video has the protagonist on a train and when it hits midnight everything goes a ghoulish green and weird stuff happens.

2 comments:

  1. you should try and find some student versions of the software. just as good, but with some flare removed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ajkshdfjksahdfh Personaaaaaa I need to finish that game too!

    Yeah... or just one of those Shin Megumi Tensinaskjfhnajksdfjsf Whatever that chick's names games are.

    The outfit of the person to the right looks like one of the outfits in another game she has made...

    But yeah, about that digital paiting! It's crazy. I heard Paint Sai is pretty good. I have yet to try it out but my friend gave me a trial link and I can pass it onto you. Apparently, you can still use the program after it expires, you just can't save the work. Instead you'll have to screenshot everything. Or I'm sure Becky has a link somewhere. Her boxer was made in paint sai. But yeah... that darn digital painting. Corel painter sounds great due to some blender tool they have that makes the world a wonderful place. (In other words it's amazing as I've seen in tutorials in comparison to the blur tool)However, in Corel painter 2, it's awful because things just... yeah... you lose control because you're using brushes and... yeah.

    Long story short, if you get your hands on the software make sure to get as new of a version as possible. Or you can be frustrated like me. (who can't even use the products due to a lag-y computer)

    ReplyDelete