Thursday, February 18, 2010

Concentration

My concentration is the effect of solitude on people and creatures. Solitude can be a bliss that allows a person to be at peace. Other times it destroys the person, causing them to look upon themselves, others, and life in general with anger. Solitude, while it can be desired, can also be inflicted upon a person or animal until it only has its reflection to recall the pleasure of company.

I currently have only one concentration piece completed, but I'm planning on bumping that number up to two or three by the end of the weekend. This picture was taken before I finished the inside of the mirror. Like in much of my art, I tried to make Bob as realistic as possible. I'm really happy how this has turned out; I haven't used watercolors much, so I'm pleased that it actually looks like a bird. I tried to have the bars of the cage fade into the vast space in order to emphasize how small and alone Bob is. I also attempted to paint the feathers on her chest by sort of...jabbing, the brush. I think it give it a ruffled sort of look that resembles feathers. Maybe, maybe not. For me the perch and the bars of the cage not only conjoin to focus on Bob but also drags my eye into the picture.

This weekend I'm going to be starting/completing another piece. It is going to reflect the happier side of solitude; the creation of your own personal world when you're alone. Everyone's happy place is different. The one I'm going to paint won't be mine, but it might wind up reflecting someone else's.

6 comments:

  1. I think your concentration idea is really unique and interesting, but it seems like it is going to be very hard to cary out. For me, it is not very clear what you are trying to say about the EFFECT of solitude in this piece. You definitely have shown the idea of solitude through the bars and the concept of a bird in a cage that everyone can understand. But what is its effect on the bird? You are certainly not afraid of quiet white space. I like the concept of the bars fading away. It puts emphasis on the main subject. But I think, at least from what I can see in the picture, that you need more contrast. The bird and the bars behind are all the same light value. However, I really like the different textures you created (the feathers, wood, bars behind, etc.). Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Monet this concentration is a really great idea and difficult to carry out although im sure you'll be able to do it. Overall i like how you put the emphasis on the bird without overpowering it and removing the power for the background - the bars add to the solitude - i like the cage bars and how they fade into the empty space it really emphasizes the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that by having the bird being the only colorful thing in the picture you are able to emphasize its loneliness in a colorless world. But i feel sort of stuck in that one corner of the picture. there is no movement from left to right. the way in which the lines of the perch and the lines of the mirror? intersect makes my eyes only want to stay in that corner of the painting. but i like how you use the empty space as a way of portraying and emptiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the detail of the bird and the textures used in it, but I feel like it needs some more emphasis. The face of the bird could really use some more defining colors and shadows to make it stand out because as Monet said, it's all at the same value. I do like the big wide open space and how that reflects on the concentration, but the lack of boldness in the bird holds back the movement. The space shows some emotion I think you're getting at, and I think the picture is good for the idea- the quality and craftsmanship overall is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your concentration idea was one that i almost pursued. I think that the best outcome that can come of this concentration is really portraying that feeling to the viewer, maybe making them feel sad, or peaceful when looking at it. I really like the fact that you aren't using only humans to portray, a caged pet makes perfect sense. The composition in this piece is very strong as is the small use of color. The depiction of the bird looks to be very accurate. Some suggestions I would have are making a relationship between the bird and the mirror, or at least adding a reflection to the mirror. In all your work is very strong, good going Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've really managed to capture a sense of isolation in this piece! By not completeing the lines in the bars of the cage, it gives the sense of empty space, and the composition fits this perfectly. I love how you're able to use bright colors and yet still accomplish the affect of a somewhat dismal scene. This is hard to accomplish, and that fact that you have done so with such talent is a sure sign that you're on the right track. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete